In addition to the REAG/GARP programme, returnees can receive additional financial assistance with StarthilfePlus. It depends on the nationality as well as the residence status, if someone can be supported with StarthilfePlus. The federal programme StarthilfePlus can be requested together with the REAG/GARP assistance and provides the following financial support:
- Stage 1: Returnees receive 1,200 EUR if they apply for a voluntary return before the asylum procedure is completed.
- Stage 2: Returnees receive 800 EUR if their asylum application has been rejected and they decide for a voluntary return within the period set for their departure.
- Stage S: Returnees receive 800 EUR if they have a legal protection status according to German law and if they return to their country of origin with StarthilfePlus. As opposed to the other stages, stage S applies to all nationalities within the framework of REAG.
- Stage Ü (until 31.12.2017): Returnees receive 800 EUR if they have been registered in Germany before 1 February 2017 and if by 1 August 2017
- they are obligated to leave the country, or
- they have a temporary permission to stay (“Duldung”), or
- they have submitted a subsequent or second asylum application.
- Family support: A family can receive an additional 500 EUR if more than four family members together receive StarthilfePlus.
StarthilfePlus is paid out in two stages. The first half will be paid out with the GARP payment at your departure at the airport and the second half within six to eight months after the arrival in the country of origin. Children below age 12 receive half of the amount.
New: Reintegration assistance for housing
Between 1 December 2017 and 28 February 2018 returnees can apply for an additional reintegration assistance. Families can receive support in kind, as for example support for rental, construction or renovation works or the basic facilities for a kitchen or bathroom in the amount of up to 3,000 EUR, and single persons up to 1,000 EUR. The application for the reintegration assistance with the name “Your Country. Your Future. Now!” is filed together with the StarthilfePlus application. Returnees will coordinate the concrete form of support upon their return with the IOM in their country of destination.
Please note: Persons who receive support in Stage S as well as persons that move on to a receiving third country, do not receive reintegration assistance for housing.
Nationals of the following countries can apply for StarthilfePlus and the additional reintegration assistance (GARP list of countries):
Afghanistan, Egypt, Algeria, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Ethiopia, Bangladesh, Benin, Burkina Faso, China, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ivory Coast, Eritrea, Gambia, Georgia*, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, India, Iraq, Iran, Cameroon, Kenya, Lebanon, Libya, Mali , Morocco, Mongolia, Niger, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palestinian Autonomous Territories, Russian Federation, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Sri Lanka, Tajikistan, Togo, Turkey, Tunisia, Ukraine*, and Vietnam.
*Please note: Georgian and Ukrainian nationals cannot receive StarthilfePlus, if they have entered Germany after the respective visa liberalisation (Georgia: 27.03.2017 / Ukraine: 10.06.2017).
Exception for stage S: If returnees are in need of protection according to German law, they can receive StarthilfePlus regardless of their nationality.
To be able to leave the country, returnees generally have to sign that they withdraw their asylum application and waive legal means. For StarthilfePlus, the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF) requires that they sign an additional declaration.
- Application form StarthilfePlus and Reintegration Housing from Dec 2017 (in German)
- BAMF declaration (Verzichts- und Rücknahmeerklärung des BAMF)
- Guideline to complete the StarthilfePus application form 2017 (in German)